How to Avoid Common Plumbing Problems
Friday, February 6th, 2015
We’ve all been there…clogged drains, leaky faucets, stopped up toilets and standing water in the shower. A little bit of simple prevention can save you time and money when dealing with these household plumbing problems. Guardian Plumbing of Annapolis Maryland would like to share some helpful tips to avoid potential costly issues…
- Don’t use the garbage disposal as a trash compactor. Not all garbage belongs in the disposer (including cooking oil & grease). Discarded fruit rinds and potato peels are also notorious for jamming the disposal’s blades. Use drain covers in the kitchen sink to keep food from clogging pipes.
- Use traps in shower drains to prevent hair clogs and minimize the use of chemical clog removers that can cause pipe corrosion.
- Know where your main water shut off is located and make your it is accessible. Turn it on and off a couple of times a year and keep faucet running while you open and close the valve.
- Look under sinks and around toilets for excessive moisture. Early detection of a small leak can save you from having a big one.
- In the fall disconnect all outdoor hoses and store them away for the winter. Ice can form the water left in the hoses and pressure can build up in the water lines inside your home. Once this occurs, a water line leak or break could occur and cause severe damage to your home.
Be careful with what goes in your drains, that includes what you flush down the toilet. Forgein objects can cause a world of damage to your plumbing. Construction cleanup is also disastrous to your plumbing. The liquid may drain but the solid chemical will stay behind and clog pipes.
Call a certified plumber when you suspect leaks, waiting to take on the problem may make it a worse and more costly to repair. Your plumber should also inspect for more leaks throughout your home. Routine maintenance can help prevent disastrous plumbing emergencies.
When in doubt, contact a professional to repair your plumbing. Guardian Plumbing in Annapolis MD is a licensed and insured plumbing contractor with 24 hour rapid response service. They offer a Plumbing Preventive Maintenance Plan for residential customers in Maryland, Delaware, Washington DC and Northern Virginia.